Featured post

Welcome to House of Devlin

Hi guys so welcome to my blog that is a great place for me to share but also expand upon my my YouTube videos that I film for my youtube cha...

Tuesday 9 February 2021

Kazmaeir Inspired Shrug Workout

One of my strongest (in fact it is my strongest) muscle groups is my traps.

Even as a young 16-17year old lad I've always been able to out lift every other lifter in the gyms that I have trained in on the shrug movement.

When used to lifting such heavy weights, I have been able to do 20reps on 360kg and even a couple kn 400kg. Perhaps I could have lifted even more but at this point I was no longer able to fit any more weight upon the bar.

Now that I have a cage and a home gym, with the capacity to load approximately 350-360kg (and soon more when I decide to buy some more plates), I find myself once again loading serious weight upon the bar and lifting in such a manner more regularly 

However with my last squat workout (the one where I got 240kg even though I failed a previous set on 220kg) I am now officially in the my light phase

Due to the in frequency if me doing shrugs I have always trained to the same note -as heavy as poss for 10-20 reps. Up to now it has always worked but....what I asked myself - why not due phase training on EVERY body part. 

And so now I find myself upon my light phase and with the necessary equipment required for regular training (needed for phase training) it is only natural for me to evolve my workouts in the most professional manner.

My first "light phase" workout on shrugs was simple in principal - to mimic the great Bill Kazmaeir. My father knew Kaz at his peak and asked him how he got such big traps. He said in his American accent "simple! I do sets of 40 on 180kg"

And so if good enough for whom I regard, in my humble opinion, as the strongest man to have ever lived, well it's good enough for "little ol me" haha

Except I consider myself to have some of the strongest traps around -yes I actually do think I'm that strong at them -and so it is only fitting for me to out do the old time great.

My workout was simple
Warmups 
60kg 20reps
100kg 20reps
140kg 20reps
180kg 20reps
200kg 40reps x 4sets

I managed this also despite feeling horrific (heavy cold) but regardless this display gave me great confidence in how I move forward.

So phase training with any luck will push me towards the high repage I desire on weights weighing approximately 400kg! 

I did not film this workout as per my norm, however I have filmed one that is already uploaded onto my youtube channel -houseofdvlin

For those interested I shall post the workout here (at this point I was simply returning to shrugs so bot as good as the workout I briefed you above -yet still a fun one to watch!)









No comments:

Post a Comment